Project objectives and outcomes
The objective is to support 9 relocated communities in South Pagai, Mentawai Islands, to establish vegetable gardens to increase their nutritional status, especially for children under five and pregnant women, and prepare for income generation.
This objective is aligned with MDG 4 - Reducing Child mortality and MDG 5 - Improving maternal health (see more on the United Nation's MDGs)
The project outcomes will consist of:
- Vegetable gardens that will lead to an improved nutritional status, especially for children under five and pregnant women.
- A seedling nursery in the communities will help families to create home vegetable gardens.
- At the same time, through training and learning by doing, increased technical agricultural knowledge and practices will be an outcome that will prepare the communities for income generation in the future.
- During the lifespan of the project different families will receive and cultivate different seeds and vegetables, so surplus vegetables can be traded with other families or communities.
Photo: A village in South Pagai
This project funding will cover
- Assessment of land to choose the right vegetables for growing.
- Material development for training on vegetable growing
- Provision of vegetable seeds for 13 communities
NZ-based GreenEarth Development will assist with assessments and technical know-how.
Part of a larger project:
This project fits in the Long-Term Post Tsunami Community Recovery in Mentawai Islands Program. By the end of this Program, SurfAid will have:
1. Provided sustainable clean water facilities that will be managed by community water committees, worked with communities to build latrines and implemented hand washing campaigns, leading to Improved hygiene and sanitation practices (Outcome 1).
2. Established functional basic health care services (Posyandu) together with the Mentawai Department of Health, through training and coaching staff and community health volunteers, leading to Improved access to and quality of community health services in each target community (Outcome 2)
3. Established family vegetable gardens, small-scale chicken farms and a demonstration nutrition garden at the Puskesmas (sub-district health centre) and trained Mentawai Department of Agriculture, Plantation and Animal Husbandry staff leading to improved nutritional status and preparedness for commercial activities (Outcome 3)
Photo: Mothers and children at the Bulasat Puskesmas (health clinic) in South Pagai